- 250g uncooked pasta
- 450g / 1 large broccoli head, cut into bite-size
- 2 tablespoons of Wilsons Foods Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 250g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken / vegetable stock
- 1 and a 1/2 cups milk (or cream if you would like a creamier version)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons of White Onion Soup
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated, divided
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
Heat oven to 200°C.
Cook pasta in a large pot of generously-salted boiling water until it is al dente.
Approximately 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the boiling pasta water and stir until combined.
Drain both the pasta and broccoli, and set aside.
Heat your Wilson’s Foods Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 more minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through.
Sprinkle the flour evenly over the onion mixture and stir until combined.
Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Add in the stock, and white onion sauce and stir everything together until most of the clumps are gone.
Add in the milk / cream, Dijon, salt and pepper and stir until combined.
Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the grated cheese until it is combined.
Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
In a large baking dish, combine the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom sauce and chicken. Toss until combined.
Smooth the casserole out into an even layer and cover with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
Remove the dish from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on top of the casserole, and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is golden.
Serve warm and enjoy!