- 3-4 medium (apple-sized) beetroot (about 500-600g), grated coarsely, or chopped into small dice
- 500g ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic, chopped roughly
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Wilson’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 500ml strong stock (beef is best, but chicken or vegetable will work too)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125g real feta cheese
Place the halved tomatoes in an ovenproof dish. Throw over the garlic and drizzle over half your Wilson’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Roast for 25-30 minutes at 190C until soft and pulpy. Rub through a sieve to remove the skin and pips.
Heat the remaining oil in a pan and sweat the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the beetroot and the stock and bring to the boil. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer gently for 7-10 minutes until the beetroot is tender.
Stir in the tomato purée, transfer the soup to a blender and process until completely smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
To serve cold, chill the soup in the fridge, then divide between six bowls. Crumble a little feta into each bowl.
To serve hot, reheat the soup until thoroughly hot but not boiling. Divide between warm bowls and crumble over a little feta into each bowl. Serve with some nice, freshly made bread.