Make sure to use ripe tomatoes, which will have more natural sweetness.
- 4 medium to large tomatoes
- 3 grilled red bell peppers in oil
- ½ cup (100 ml) Wilson’s Foods Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for brushing
- 3 tablespoons (50 ml) sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 10 basil leaves
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices crusty bread (gluten-free, if needed; see note below)
Cut a small cross in the bottom of each tomato and submerge them in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove them to a bowl of ice water and let them cool for 30 seconds. Peel off the tomato skins.
Put the peeled tomatoes, red bell peppers, extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar, shallot, garlic, and basil in your blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture into a large pot over medium heat, and heat until cooked through.
Brush the bread with olive oil and grill for 2 minutes per side over medium-high heat, or until visible grill marks have formed.
For a classic croutons option, cut the bread into small cubes. Toss with a little olive oil to coat and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 15 minutes, or until toasted.